One Aging Geek

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Firefly

I just watched the pilot to the science fiction series Firefly

Apparently it was, in 2002 I think, on Fox. There were 14 episodes filmed including a 2 hour pilot. Not all of the episodes aired before Fox dumped it. According to IMDB they aired the pilot last. The whole thing is out on DVD.

I heard of it via the Dragon Page podcast and got in the first disc via Netflix.

Very quirky! Just downright … odd.

It's a Western science fiction. As if Sergio Leone had made a science fiction movie, and on the same budget as Fistful of Dollars. Think Clint Eastwood crossed with Han Solo. Gun battles with six guns and horses where the lead character gets into his seedy space ship instead of riding off on his horse.

I'm not quite sure why I like this thing but I really do. Interesting characters, very fascinating "look" to the sets on the ship and elsewhere.

IMDB search shows that there is a movie in production, presumably to wrap up the story from wherever Fox dropped it.

Update: As of March 25th I've watched 6 episodes plus the pilot. I'm a little less enamored with this. A few of the episodes are downright hilarious. But it's very much in the "Wagon Train" / "Star Trek" school with only a slight nod to any continuing story arc or ongoing character development. Very much in the "peril of the week" mold. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the creator. I'll watch the whole series (NetFlix, so I'm not paying per disc or anything) but it's not something I'd buy at this point.