One Aging Geek

Saturday, May 22, 2004

IT Conversations: Alex Kosiorek - Maximum Burn

http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail127.html

Are your CD-R backups safe? Think they'll last a long time? Think again!

Alex Kosiorek is the audio recording and mastering engineer for the Corbett Studios at WGUC-FM in Cincinnati where, among other things, he's responsible for creating archival CD-R recordings. We first learned of Alex from an article he wrote for Radio Magazine in which he detailed his research on CD-R media, burners and techniques.

I'm a huge fan of Doug Kaye's IT Conversations site. I've listened to everything ever posted there. OK, with the exception of the last two thirds of the talk that Helen Greiner of iRobot (the Roomba people) did at the O'Reilly Emerging Technology conference.

Being a poor geek, I don't own an iPod. And I can't listen to interviews and talks while I work, my aging brain can only hold one track at a time. I convert the IT Conversations mp3 files to WAV and then use some Sony software to load them onto my minidisc player. Then I listen to them as I commute or exercise.