One Aging Geek

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

bOING bOING: Yahoo ups free email storage to 100MB in Gmail competition

Storage limit for Yahoo's free webmail service just expanded to 100MB in an apparent effort to compete with Google's yet-to-be-publicly-launched Gmail. Link (Thanks, Caines) [Boing Boing]

Not the whole story. My DSL is provided by SBC who partners with Yahoo so they don't have to provide those pesky servers. Email and web comes from Yahoo, connectivity from SBC.

The emails I got said that the "main" account now had a limit of 2GB, twice what my GMail account holds. Each "sub account" gets up to 100MB. Not sure if the 100MB comes out of the 2GB or how that works. It's possible that free Yahoo accounts now can have 100MB, I don't have one of those any more.

Update: Doh! I do too still have a free Yahoo account. I used to use it for the email address for all the random assortment of "registration" things one collects before I discovered SpamGourmet. I forgot about it because it's fetched to my Linux machine courtesy of FetchYahoo. I was reminded by it because FetchYahoo was semi-stumped by the notice that the account had been upgraded to 100MB (instructions for dealing with that are on the FetchYahoo site).

So, yes. Free accounts are upgraded to 100MB.