One Aging Geek

Monday, June 21, 2004

Hiding Behind Certification - Making I.T. Work - CIO Magazine Jun 15,2004

http://www.cio.com/archive/061504/itwork.html

PROFESSIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES have twice required me to become an 'instant expert' on certification. The first time involved grasping the byzantine ins and outs of health-care plan accreditation. The second time required understanding the politics (and economics) of how different universities granted diplomas and certificates for their business, technical and professional extension courses. I learned far more than I bargained for.

...

That's why I've been struck by the seemingly pathological need so many CIOs have for the certification of skills and accreditation of organizational performance. I find this craving misguided and pathetic. What does it really say when someone is Microsoft certified? Or has a certificate in "network engineering" from a quality university? Or if a development organization has a Capability Maturity Model Level 3 rating? Or is ISO 9000 compliant?

Picked this up from my old buddy, Miles. Good article.