One Aging Geek

Monday, November 22, 2004

Podcasting 2 -- I invented podcasting er ... catching

I have documented proof that I thought of this three years ago so everyone should bow down to me. Sorry, this is just my reaction to all the claims that Adam Curry invented podcasting just because he wrote an AppleScript script to store RSS enclosures on his iPod. There were at least three other people with similar scripts, probably all of them predating Adam's. And I'd bet serious money that there were a hundred more that geek types had cobbled together for their own use. Maybe it's Adam's Big Hair. But then again maybe it's just his ego. I listened to ... three ... ? ... installments of Adam's "Daily Source Code" podcast. What a self-congratulatory bunch of drivel! As one of my friends says: there's three hours of my life I'll never get back. If I wanted to know about the problems of an aging media personality getting high and trying to sell his castle I'd get my reading material from the tabloid stand in the checkout aisle at the supermarket. I do not for the life of me understand what it is that puts Daily Source Code on the Favorites section of the podcast directory Back to my claim. I've been pulling audio off the web for about a year and dumping it onto my minidisc player to fill my commuting hours. Back when the Web was all text I toyed with a text-to-speech program thinking that I'd set up something that would convert the new websites that had stuff I cared about into audio which I'd then burn on CDs. But since I'm a closet environmentalist I couldn't bring myself to burn a CD a day and my truck's CD player doesn't handle CD-RWs. If only I had patented the idea. Done in sufficiently vague terms, I could be suing somebody today.