One Aging Geek

Monday, November 22, 2004

Podcasting 4 -- Doing it right

Robert Scoble made the point (obvious though it was) that he can read 900 RSS text feeds (um... read... yeah... the word is skim, Robert) but can only listen to three [hours worth]. You can't speed listen. At least not without doing some manipulation of the audio stream. So it's really important that every bit of the audio is jam-packed with crunchy goodness. Do I want to listen to somebody saying "but that's ok because I'll edit that bit out" (since I'm hearing it, obviously they didn't!)? No! If I'm listening to an information piece do I want to hear a full length music piece? Nope. To do it right, a podcast has to be produced, not just recorded and perpetrated on the world. So far not many people seem to be doing this. The single absolute best is Doug Kaye. Also well done and wonderfully eclectic is Benjamen Walker's Theory of Everything Radio. Among the worst is Adam Curry. Just to lighten up on Adam for a moment, Doug Kaye's interview of Adam is quite good but definitely not safe for work. I'm a few weeks behind in stuff from IT Conversations, I listened to this one within the last few days. So spare me your experiments with new equipment and your significant other wandering into the room while you're recording. Spare me the 3 minute intro, if I ever come back it'll become rapidly annoying. Spend some time in production, edit out the bits that need editing out. Then maybe I'll listen more than once. OK. That's it I think. All I have to spew about podcasting. I like getting audio that I want in an effortless manner so I can listen to it when I'm doing things that don't involve my brain (like driving!). I like having choice which is long gone from American radio. I like the time-shifting ability. The name is fine, really. Podcasting good. Me like.